Friday, September 11, 2009

Trader Joe's Recommendations

Lately, I have rediscovered the loveliness that is Trader Joe's. The food is reasonably priced and they have quite the variety of fun foods and staples for meals. I am not a fancy vegan-gluten free-monounsaturated fat person but I do like the option to be that healthy if I want to.

Here are some amazing products that you need to try:


Seriously Seedy & Nutty Wafers

These weird looking little cookies are amazingly good. The mixture of cashews, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in a honey based concoction that is placed on odd white wafers are crunchy, sweet and fulfilling.


Savory Thin Mini Edamame Crackers

I don't really consider these crackers because they are freakin' crispy like chips. Like chips that you can't stop eating no matter how hard you try. These delicate "crackers" have a wonderfully nutty taste that is perfectly salted. The bonus is that they are gluten free and low in calories and fat. For 38 crackers (count them out so you don't end up eating the whole bag...not that I have) it's only 120 calories and 2 grams of fat. I say if you have a crunchy craving to buy these. Now. Yes.


Vegetable Masala Burger & Sweet Potato Fries


I blame Cara for this completely. I innocently had these vegetarian burgers thinking "No Biggie" but instead the flavor is awesome and the patties are incredibly versatile. I have put a fried egg on top and had them for breakfast. She served them with Sweet Potato Fries that are not only healthier alternatives to the classic potato fry but also feel incredibly decadent. I leave the fries in the oven until they are a bit crunchy so they do take some time but are so very worth it. Add a TJ's bean dip and these could be a meal!



Whole Wheat Tandoori Naan

This stuff is yummy and has a nice bit of fiber to boot. I customarily have it with TJ's sour cream spinach dip that is aaaamazing. Even my picky mom said it was "not bad" so you can imagine how good it is. To be warned, the naan can mold fairly quickly if not kept in the right conditions. I keep it in the fridge and try to just watch out for any signs of the little green/blue invader. The naan is also good plain or with a little bit of savory spread.



Other yummies:
---Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese Sticks-a good alternative if you are tired of the traditional string cheese or just don't like it
---Chocolate Cat Cookies-low fat, thin chocolate cookies that pack a lot of chocolate flavor and are very satisfying
---Carrot Juice-slightly high calorie and sugar amount but if replacing a meal then it is well worth it
---Freeze dried banana chips--make sure these are the FREEZE and not the FRIED ones; these are the kind of fruits that they usually put in cereals; they have the amazing banana flavor and the crunch texture without being fried in fatty oils; slightly odd smell to me at first but no biggie

No comments:

Post a Comment