Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sugar Suspension

One of the greatest perks of my current job is that meals are provided during orientations. These meals can range from muffins to pulled pork sandwiches to chicken parmesan. Personally, I love the mashed potatoes and meatloaf nights and am highly partial to the boxed lunches. Everyone is very much over the boxed sandwiches, chips, fruit and cookie combo but I can't help but look forward to every other day.

My problem has always been my GIGANTIC sweet tooth. After each meal, I want/crave (not need, obviously) something sweet. On day one of orientations I end up with a cookie (or two or three....) and an ice cream treat at the end of the day. Day two of orientation has less temptation and I don't typically indulge in a treat.*

*I define treats as those extras of the day that I don't need: cake, cookies, pie, brownies, churros, ice cream, candy, and even soda. 

Lately I have been having sugar binges that I don't quite understand but I definitely know that I feel horrible afterwards. Last week a friend picked up a bag (larger bag) of Skittles since I had been craving them for at least a week. Throughout the week, I did serious damage to that bag! I am not normally a candy person either but it was something I craved and took enjoyment in almost every evening. Last week I also found the yummiest oatmeal raisin cookies in the box lunches and indulged in one (or two or three...) when given the opportunity. 

I have been able to cut down on my soda consumption from where I was when orientations started. Coffee, on the other hand, has been a pretty strong addiction that I just don't think will be stopping during this orientation.

Anyway, the whole point of this whole thing is to say that my sugar addiction must stop.
Now.
I am not one of those people that can just take it a little bit at a time either.
I will still be eating things with sugar in them but just not treats (as defined above) with the very occasional soda and the every other day coffee.

I don't like that I crave sugar all day long or especially after a meal. I will indulge if I am out celebrating something or enjoying time with my co-workers but as far as the daily temptations, they have just got to go!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with a newly formed sugar problem! Since working graveyard my sugar consumption-can we say iced coffee beverages from unsavory fast food establishments???

    I am starting Medifast when I move so goodbye copious amounts of sugar!

    Good luck to you on your journey sans sugar:)

    ReplyDelete