Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Be Present.

I had the chance to reconnect with one of my close friends the other day. The past few months have been really rough for her. She lost her mom, her very best friend in the entire world, unexpectedly, but still remains the positive, bubbly person I have always known her as. She puts on the big, gorgeous smile and tries to be strong and I can't help but want to be there for her even though she is thousands of miles away.

I've had a lot of friends that have lost loved ones this year so far; mothers, childhood friends, and cousins. I can't even begin to imagine how they get through the day-to-day feeling like a little piece of them is just missing. Those "reality checks" always make life seem so fragile, and it is, but why do we then take it for granted?

The friend I spoke of above doesn't want to be sad, she wants to live her life big and to the fullest and she wants to make her mom proud. Each person who has lost someone wants to live just a little more intentionally and make every moment count. It's clique, but for good reason. We should all be living intentionally, presently, and proudly each day.

I keep finding those that have amazing strength and light even in the face of adversity and sadness. Those that have made the best out of horrible situations and I always think to myself, "Seriously, you are so lucky!" there is absolutely no reason to not be happy for each day given to me. And us.

I think it is hard to be thankful each day when you get annoyed in traffic or you slam your foot into the edge of the coffee table or your dog pees on the carpet. It's easy to get bogged down in the stupid, pointless, crappy things that just happen because they do.

So...don't let it get to you.

Be thankful.


Watch stupid (non-reality) television that makes you laugh about life.

Watch movies that make you remember that we are all human with hearts and souls.

Watch little kids laugh and play because it is the BEST thing in the entire world.


Breathe in deeply the air that surrounds us, even for a moment.


Be present.


No comments:

Post a Comment