Sunday, April 10, 2011

Movie Reviews ala Netflix, #2

I shouldn't be but I have been totally addicted to the show "Bones." It is about a forensic anthropologist (Emily Deschanel) and a FBI agent (David Boreanez) that work together to solve murders. It has been recommended to me by Netflix for quite a while but I just didn't feel like starting another series. As I was looking for any reason to procrastinate last month, I decided to watch one episode before bed. BAM! I was totally hooked! I ended up finishing the series but luckily they still have new episodes coming so I can continue my love affair with this show.


The Fighter
I wanted to see all of the Oscar nominated movies and although I didn't get a chance to see this one before they came out, I was really happy I didn't take it off my list. I was so incredibly moved by this movie and was holding my breath during the last fighting scenes even! I think Christian Bale is an amazing actor but also Mark Wahlberg is so diverse and he shows so much depth in every role that he plays. At one point I thought back to when he was Marky Mark and said "How the hell did he get here?" and by "here" I mean a well-respected actor and director. One of the best movies I have seen in a really long time. Highly recommend. 
 Exit Through the Gift Shop
This movie got a lot of hype because the artist, Banksy, is pretty well know, as is his art. This was one of those documentaries that are really interesting but you aren't sure why. I loved getting to see how street artists do their work but I also felt kind of sad that their work wasn't valued and it was slightly overshadowed by the "director" character.





Half Nelson
I have been meaning to watch this movie for years and now I know why. Ryan Gosling does an amazing job at playing a teacher who has serious issues but also a serious love for his students. I wasn't sure where this movie was headed but I liked the emotion and nature of people that it showed.






More reviews below!





Burlesque
I fully expected not to like this movie. I fully expected this to be like "Coyote Ugly" but worse. I fully expected to be scared of Cher. Oddly enough, I really liked it! (I am just as surprised as you are) I thought Christina Aguilera, Kristen Bell and Stanley Tucci did a great job and for Cher being out of the spotlight for so long, it seemed so natural to see her in a major movie role.





Love and Other Drugs
There are two major stars in this: Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathway. I love them both as actors and was excited to see what this movie was all about. I don't currently have cable so when I see movie trailers, it is usually randomly only or through the previews of other DVDs. I thought this movie was pretty interesting, definitely emotional and good all around.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
I remember seeing a poster of this movie at a theater in Portland and it looked really cute. I always go between romantic comedies, action movies, and kid's movies when I order things on Netflix. All of the characters in this movie are very bright, real, and honest which I think is great. I think this is the perfect movie for younger kids to see so that they feel like they don't have to belong to any particular group at school, they can just be themselves.

The Losers
Enter: the action movie. I ordered this for some Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He makes any movie better, I swear.
This is a great action movie with very unique characters plus a feisty Zoe Saldana playing the one bad ass chick in the film. 

The Expendables
Another action movie but a very....odd?....one. There were too many random actors, sports guys, and legends in this one to not see it. I love movies that have tons of actors in them, I feel like I am getting more for my time and money. This one has Sylvester Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham (yum), Jet Li, and more. Even Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger makes an awkward appearance. I totally dug this whole ridiculous movie. I hear they are making a sequel!



Life as We Know It
I have been looking forward to this movie since I saw the preview for it last year. I love romantic comedies and even though this was slightly predicable, it was exactly what I was in the mood for.

No comments:

Post a Comment