Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hello, Florida! I kinda like you.

So! I arrived in Florida last Friday and have been going non-stop ever since. I don't forsee being able to update a ton but I will try my very best to at least update with my little day trips that I am most definitely going to make time for.

Last Friday my friend drove me to the airport and I took a nice little flight from Detroit to Orlando. The ride was bumpy about half way through and the two friends I made next to me kept me pretty entertained. One of them loved all the turbulence while the other completely slept through it. I am pretty sure the armrest still has my fingerprints embedded in it. After safely coming back down to earth, I was picked up by my supervisor and suite mate (yes, dorms people, dorm living for me!) and taken to lunch at Lazy Moon pizza. So good! It is like American Dream in Corvallis, OR which I loved during my undergrad. The pizza slices are bigger than my head! No, seriously!

Anyways, I did a quick tour of the office, finished up paperwork and then finally landed at my dorm to unload everything. I definitely was a Michigander/Oregonian packing for Florida and was missing a few essentials right off the bat. After the long day of travel, I took a wonderful nap before dinner at Tijuana Flats with the professional staff.                                       

Over the past week, I have participated in a lot of training, met some amazing O-Team staff that I will be working and supervising and ate a lot of food. Almost every training day, we have had lunch provided to us by a local vendor. One day it was Moe's, the next Domino's Pizza, and another two days was Qdoba. I love, love this food but I usually only eat out once or twice a month so this has taken some adjustment. We all get belly aches because we are so excited to eat yummy and FREE food! Other days, the O-Teamers make dinner which usually resembles more home cooking that I love. So far the menus have been breakfast, Greek food, and a chili bar. All of these meals by the way, so good! Another food related: Florida has an abundance of frozen yogurt places with your choice of flavors and toppings. I was obsessed with these in Portland but Michigan has NONE! Florida is totally winning in my book!

Ok, can you tell my week so far has revolved around food? I also am learning a lot, have a HUGE amount of UCF gear and am pushing myself outside of my comfort zone on a daily basis. There has been several days that I look around and wonder "How did I get here?" and I am completely ecstatic to be on this adventure. I have some more traveling adventures lined up and am super excited for those as well!

I'll leave you with a view from my room....

                          
My plan is to take a ton of pictures this week as I now know the campus and am much less likely to get lost! Don't worry, food will still be heavily emphasized as will my impending usage of the amazing rec center they have here. Oh yeah, I could totally get used to this Florida living.

No comments:

Post a Comment