Sunday, November 21, 2010

Food Bucket List

I have grand plans to try and cook or bake certain next year. I would love to try all 30 things (magical number) but more likely, I will get to at least 15. These are things that I am so interested in creating but have decided that it is either too hard or I don't have the skills. Bull-ongia.

My Must-Make List:
  1. Chicken Makhani
  2. Macroons (flavors to be determined)  (June 2013--finally!)
  3. Tamales (and possibly some horchata to go along with it)
  4. Stuffed Pork Loin
  5. Pie (crust and filling; flavor to be determined)
  6. Cinnamon Rolls (Yes! I made the Pioneer Woman's recipe and they were amazing! 12/31/10)
  7. Souffle (sweet or savory, not sure which yet)
  8. Manicotti (Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Manicotti 12/6/2010)
  9. Chicken Soup
  10. Stuffed Cupcake from Bake in a Cake (made crappy red velvet mini cupcakes from a mix and decided to put them into a known amazing chocolate cupcake recipe so they wouldn't go to waste. Each cupcake has the velvet center and cream cheese frosting on top with Valentine themed sprinkles and m&ms. Sugar overload would be an understatement. Let's ignore the fact that I also ate the frosting with a spoon. 2/13/2011)
  11. Baked Macaroni & Cheese Used the recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod. Delicious and pretty healthy! (1/1/2012)
  12. Fresh Pasta
  13. Meatballs (yes! made turkey pesto meatballs with a bit of shredded zucchini in it, 12/15/12)
  14. Crab Cakes with Spicy Garlic Aioli
  15. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (4/10/11, cheated a little on the cake but made the frosting from scratch!)
  16. Doughnuts  Made baked chocolate doughnuts with vanilla glaze and sprinkles. Nothing terribly fancy but they came out more like round brownies with holes than anything else. Next to try: apple cider doughnuts with cinnamon and sugar.
  17. Breaded Chicken Tenders (3/26/11 and it makes me want to be a vegetarian....I don't do raw meat well :)
  18. Muddy Buddies
  19. Chili (3/10/11 it was so delicious! I used a bunch of different recipes and also added in some quinoa which made it a much more thick chili.)
  20. A completely vegan meal (likely a recipe from Oh She Glows or Eat, Live, Run)
  21. Eggs Benedict (Hollandaise sauce and all; possibly with crab cakes ala Veritable Quandary in Portland)
  22. Homemade Pop Tarts
  23. Cheese Fondue
  24. Marshmallows (or this recipe)
  25. Veggie Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
  26. Phad Thai or Pad See Ew (4/10/11, used a mix of three different recipes and added some delicious tofu as my protein, turned out well!)
  27. Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing (inspired by i am baker) (Made for Christmas)
  28. Egg Rolls
  29. Homemade Peanut Butter Cups (made homemade pumpkin cups which are just about the same thing--calling this one good! 11/30/12)
  30. Pulled Pork Tacos 
This took me days to actually think about! Some are ridiculously easy I just haven't gotten around to them. I don't particularly like cooking with large hunks of beef but I am very comfortable with pork products. The raw meal is something that just intrigues me to the point where I can't not do it. I'm happy that there seems to be an equal amount of savory and sweet. I have a notorious sweet tooth that I am trying to tame so at least some of these will allow me to make meals, have leftovers and get more comfortable in the kitchen. I linked several of the recipes from Eat, Live, Run because she makes things seem really easy and rarely ever uses fancy gadgets. My fancy gadgets are all in Oregon which is of little help here in Michigan. 

4 comments:

  1. I made Martha's Mac & Cheese last year for Thanksgiving and have been making it at least once a month ever since. I'm making another huge batch again this week; it's become a traditional side dish and is AWESOME! Plus, you can mix and match cheeses, add tomatoes, veggies, etc. to mix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the recipe around for a long time but just haven't made the effort. I might just make it a new year's day kind of comfort meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling highly accomplished that I have made 17 things on your list!!! I forget how much I have cooked I the past. My meals as of lately have been so boring. I made migas(corn tortillas in eggs) the other day and realized there are a lot of things I haven't cooked lately because I was forgetting my roots. I think I am going to make chorizo con huevos next week and see if Ez will eat it. He LOVED the migas-and it is SO easy!

    Oh and if you haven't found a recipe for Peanut Butter Cups yet my sister has a good one that she swears by. When Mike was in Iraq she took some candy/cake making classes and she learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Very accomplished. I have a recipe saved for the PB Cups but if they don't turn out, I'll let ya know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete