Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Makin' and Bakin' (Created Mid-November)

The strangely cold weather got me in the mood to get back into my baking groove (no, that was not suppose to rhyme!). I haven't really been cooking or baking as much as I used to and besides Thanksgiving dinner, I think it was time that changed. It is truly a source of stress relief and makes me feel more like myself.

I didn't technically go to sleep last night. Instead, my brain was squishing and whirling over things to think about for the future and I truly am the most productive in the wee hours of the morning/night. After some lovely sugar-free Oregon Chai and reading over a few blogs in between researching masters programs, I thought about a wonderful hearty breakfast I could make.

Since my food stamps have yet to come in this week, I am trying to be resourceful and eat only what I have in the house. For Thanksgiving dinner, I bought some Pumpkin Beer (mostly for the cute pumpkins on the bottle) and it just wasn't all that exciting. I didn't want it to go to waste so after some google action, I found this recipe for Beer Bread from Foodie Farm Girl. Awesome blog, by the way.



Basic Beer Bread Mix:

All-purpose flour 3 cups / 750 ml / 15-1/8 oz / 430 g
Granulated sugar 1 tbsp / 15 ml / 5/8 oz / 16 g
Salt 1 tsp / 5 ml / 1/4 oz / 6 g
Baking powder 1 tbsp / 15 ml / 5/8 oz / 16 g

Beer 1½ cups / 355 ml / 12 oz / 338 g

Optional glaze: 1 egg & 2 tsp (10 ml) water, beaten

Heat oven to 375°F/190°C. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick. Spread in a greased 8-inch (20cm) loaf pan, brush with egg glaze if desired, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Will keep for 1 to 2 days stored in a plastic bag or airtight container. May be frozen.
........................................................................
I added in shredded cheddar cheese, diced scallions, rubbed sage, and dried thyme. I sprinkled the top with pepper and shoved it into the oven. Oh the plans I have for this little loaf! At my old place, I had a lot of frozen veggies including spinach and peppers which would I would put into everything and they would definitely come in handy right now. I plan on slicing up the bread and covering it with some eggs sunny side up! Mmm....runny yolks and fresh bread. Could anything be more divine?

2 comments:

  1. I have some beer I need to use as well. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a pretty intense yeast smell with the beer bread but so good! I love it fresh out of the oven with butter.

    ReplyDelete