Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Making Progress

I am slowly making my way down my Food Bucket List and recently made chili for the first time! I used to love love love Nalley's Turkey Chili but haven't been able to find it in Michigan and don't want it SO bad that I feel the need to order a case of it off of Amazon (but man, come next Winter I just might be that desperate). I have tried all the store brands and "fancy" brands and they just don't compete. I decided to take matters into my own hands!



 Mmm....deliciousness. Now for the "recipe," I looked around the internet a bit then just threw a bunch of stuff into a skillet:
1 lb. lean ground turkey meat
1/2 medium chopped onion
hunk of red pepper and green pepper, diced
half a zucchini, peeled and diced
--Saute that all up in a pan until the turkey is just done
dash of cumin
dash of chili powder
dash of garlic powder
sprinkling of S&P
2 cans (15oz. each) of chopped tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
handful of quinoa
maybe some water...don't remember
--mix all of that loveliness together and let is simmer for a little bit until the beans are soft and it smells like...chili!

The quinoa adds a bit of bulk and soaks up some of the liquid from the tomatoes. I am not a huge soup eater so I like hearty stews. I wish I could have made more of this but the pan I used (pictured) is the biggest one I have. It turned out so good!

Then for dessert:
It's like the land of never ending cookies! I use my favorite chocolate chip recipe (super basic) and then added dried cranberries and walnuts. Yum!

Up next on tackling that Food Bucket List: Tofu Phad Thai (or Phad Se Ew, haven't decided that one) and Salmon Cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment