Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday Favorites

It has been quite the week. From what I have heard, a LOT of people have an exhausting, frustrating, and/or stupid few days, which makes me feel like it might just be the time of year where stress and chaos reign.

I figured that it would be nice to focus on some nice, pretty, and yummy things to end the week on a high note. Beware: I like things cozy!


These hot chocolate macrons make me excited to bake soon. I am going to someone's house for Thanksgiving which means for the first time in four years, I won't be cooking the whole shebang. Instead, we are asked to bring a side dish so I am feverishly looking up tasty side dishes but I also might bring a fancy cookie or dessert bar. I can't help myself!

I have been looking for a cute little cross-body purse and while this is out of my price range, it is great inspiration for when I am shopping the thrift stores and department store sales. So, if anyone feels like buying me one, I'll take a black-and-white, gray, or teal!

Red Cold Outfit !

As the weather gets colder, I start looking at whole outfits to put together than can be layered. I really love the textured tights with great heels like these. Coats are obviously the most important aspect of your wardrobe since it keeps you warm and toasty when even the coldest of winds blow, so pea coats are common choices. I also am really loving the bomber jackets in unique patterns like this and this.

I also am a big fan of casseroles and one pot dishes this time of year. I usually make use of my crock-pot but since that is in storage, I try to come up with simple and quick dishes that still offer that same comfort goodness. This Cheeseburger Casserole looks amazing! The same blogger also has a recipe for Baked Tortellini Casserole that also warms my soul. Clearly, I am easy to please and it usually involves food.

As I have been making my "wish list" for the holidays, I found it difficult to list actual material items. Since I am in a temporary housing situation, I don't want to have a lot of stuff in my room and I also really couldn't think of anything even if I did have my own apartment right now. I very much appreciate experiences more than things right now, which isn't exactly something easy to pick out for another person. I saw a glass-blowing Groupon today but didn't think the boyfriend would really be up for it; I saw a wine tasting for two but wasn't sure who would have the time to do something like that. See? The challenge of the holidays.

Source

I did manage to find some cute things to add to my wish list, though, mainly including some fun jewelry.

I saw a version of this ring at a street fair over the summer and instantly fell in love with it. I like very, very simple jewelry and this ring also had kind of a punk edge (and I say that lightly).  The makers of the ring that I liked, Betsy & Iya, have some awesome Portland Bridge cuffs that are so unique and interesting.




And now, I'm thirsty. This looks mighty tasty right now! Anything with sparkling cider is pretty much tops in my book.

To end on a high note, I was able to visit the family area for those with children at the Ronald McDonald House here in Portland. It was a quick stop but it was so wonderful to see the toys that had been donated for the children and families that are battling an illness. We often forget that families go through so much when there is a sick child or parent, that they also need support and humor. I grabbed a bunch of coloring kits from Target's dollar spot and also some games for older kids and adults.  This is the time of year for giving so as you buy fun things and spend money on your loved ones, also throw in a few toys, warm clothes, or cans of food into the mix and give someone else some warm fuzzies.

Anything you want to share with the masses that you have found recently? Anything cool out in internet land?




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought it would be perfect for Thanksgiving or the day after recovery!

      Delete