Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reverb: August, September, October

Smoothly making progress as we go...


15. Best moment(s) of August
-Accepted the position to co-teach a UNIV 101: Intro to the University course. Never thought in my life that I would be teaching undergraduates but I really enjoyed the experience and learned so much. 
-Got back into the swing of things at EMU and in my program. There were plenty of meetings and luncheons to attend which was great because I got to see all of my friends! 
-Started my internship at Keys to Degrees which was another great experience that I was able to learn from. 
-I got a big girl bed! Bought damn time.

16. Body integration. This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn't mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
-I worked out at a great gym at UCF but wasn't fully committed as my resources to make my own food were limited. I did integrate exercise in my daily activities which really helped and I also was able to ween myself off sweets (except for a crazy summer Skittle addiction). Once I returned home, I was able to buckle down and really work on my eating habits. I dropped a good chunk of weight within the first few months just from monitoring my eating habits. As October ended and the holidays came, I joined Planet Fitness to help counteract the indulgences that I knew were coming. Since then, I have loved going to the gym and felt much more confident and present in my body. I no longer dread getting dressed in the morning and I enjoyed looking for clothes that show off my figure. It is still a strange feeling to have confidence and I have had many slip-ups over the past few weeks but I know that once I start working and school again, I will fall into a consistent schedule. 
-I also had a position where I spoke in front of hundreds of people on a daily basis. I never, ever thought I would get comfortable doing that but within a few weeks, I was able to feel more comfortable speaking on the microphone, helping keep the crowd together, and make students and parents feel confident of their choice for the future. It was so great to feel that kind of confidence growing in my. It was surreal.

17. Best moment of September
-While I don't remember anything astounding and amazing, I genuinely enjoyed getting back into my work and school and seeing the progress I have made in my program. I also believe that there were one or two nights at Tower Inn which were quite enjoyable! 

18. Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?
-I laughed at this question because I had to "let go" of myself a bit this year! The beginning of the year left me down and in a bad place but I knew I need a drastic smack in the face. Hello, Florida. I promised myself that I would embrace everything during the summer and go completely outside of my comfort zone. Except for a unsuccessful challenge course expedition, I did just that. I explored and embraced and enjoyed myself immensely! And I came back to Michigan completely rejuvenated and positive. 
-I had someone in my life that has literally been like a habit, an addiction. Not sure why I still let them in but I always do...did. I realized that damn, I am so much better than that person and so much better than the person I used to be! I have confidence and so much ahead of me that it is pointless and pathetic for me to continue to care about someone that doesn't care for me and shows it pretty blatantly. I came to a point this year that I was just done. And, that's it! End of our story.


19. Best moment(s) of October
-Huge physical and personal goal of mine: Completed the Detroit Free Press Marathon 5K! It was my first real "race" and I did it by myself. It felt amazing. I can't wait to do many more this year. 
-Raised money for the Michigan Humane Society by walking in the Mega March for Animals. Thanks to some very generous people, I raised over $250. Bonus: I got to be around puppies for the entire walk and I may have turned into a 3 year old saying "Puppy!" every five seconds. 
-Connecting with one of my favorite people that I have met in Michigan. She isn't in the program anymore but we have dinner every few months to catch up. I wasn't able to make it to her wedding but I was there in spirit (and text).

20. Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2011? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2012?
-I have discovered a community in higher education that spans institutions and states. I have felt more integrated into the professional community as I make connections and am networking with other professionals and mentors. I have a been privy to many wonderful people who have given me advice, support, and guidance. In 2012, I will attending a conference and interviewing (well, I hope) for future positions so all that advice, support, and mentoring will be very handy! 
-Wherever I end up in the future, I plan to become very integrated in the institution and the community. I hope to make great connections both professionally and personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment