Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dis-Connect?

Today, while many people stood in line for yet another gadget that keeps us from being fully engaged in the world around us, I went to a baby shower. I rode with a good friend to the baby shower of a dear friend that was hosted by one of my oldest friends. It was one of those days that make you thankful to have such friends.

The house that the baby shower was at brought back high school memories. I was blessed to have had a great group of friends in high school. We were never trouble-makers or terribly popular, but we went to football games, shared plates of nachos at Red Robin, had sleepovers where we ate far too much junk food, and planned trips together. Having those people in my life actually made me believe that the world was much bigger than it appeared. I was thinking about today WHY I have the strong urges to travel and be something bigger and greater and perhaps it is because of these friends that I do have those things to even think about.

This house of an old friend is where we held girls' Christmas dinners, painted the room in the girliest fashion possible complete with butterflies and puffy, white clouds, and hung out at in between weekends and movies. It was nothing particularly special but returning to it after several years away, I felt comfort in memories and in myself. I remembered what it felt like to not be so intimidated by failures or possibilities. We just had fun and enjoyed being with each other.

I am in contact with maybe three people from high school that I was close with. Since then, I have been able to add to my circle of friends and in each person, their hearts, passions, and experiences have influenced and added to my own.
For one person's strength, I see my own.
For another person's heart, I see the person I strive to be.
For one person's perspective, I broaden my own.
And for another person's faith, I see the beauty that lies within us.


I am always in awe of people that are able to be open and honest with everyone; it takes serious guts. If we were able to tell it like it is, maybe we would all be able to connect better and would work harder to not lose touch. A day goes by, then a week, then a month and then the next thing you know, you get married and have kids and you haven't spoken to your best friend in a decade. How does time slip so quickly? Should we blame technology on helping or hindering our personal relationships? Is this just the sign of the times and there is no longer a need for hand-written notes and calls just to "check-in?" Are family dinners even possible with Bobby on the computer, Susie texting her friends, Dad on the iPad and Mom watching TV on the couch?

--------------------------------------------
I saw a picture of the tremendous line at the Apple Store today where a dad had taken his child with him. Beneath it the caption read "This kid won't remember a world where there weren't iPads." My first thought was "How sad."

No comments:

Post a Comment