Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reverb 10, December 1, One Word


Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. The end of the year is an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead. With Reverb 10, we'll do both. (Thanks Cara for the idea!)
Buddha with Key | Gwen Bell
December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)
Unexpected.
Many, many things were unexpected this year. The applying to graduate school (technically 2009) left all future choices up to each school that I applied to. Of my options, I unexpectedly chose a school that was 3,000 miles away, where I had never been before, and where I knew no one. I unexpectedly took another Americorps position for six months that gave me amazing, supportive friends and confidence that I didn't know I had. The easiest and cheapest option of moving was unexpectedly driving cross country. I used to be scared to drive from Portland to Seattle but now an 8-hour drive doesn't even seem that bad. I was unexpectedly not scared to drive alone. I met friends I had known for years and saw things I never thought I would see. I unexpectedly have grown to love my school, my apartment, my colleagues and where my life is headed.  I am unexpectedly not homesick in the least and do not miss my old life. Nothing seems expected anymore and I am taking every opportunity to fully enjoy it. 

2011? One word? Adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment