Sunday, August 12, 2012

Food Favorites

My eating routine has been hit or miss lately. Between training for my new job which includes a whole lot of free lunches (yay and nay) and attempting to establish some sort of regularity and utilization of SparkPeople again, I have been feeling gross and out of shape. I finally got a scale this last week and while a lot of people don't think a scale is an accurate interpretation of progress, I feel like it motivates me. Apparently I have gained a few pounds but I think more so, I have lost a lot of muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat, I lost some but gained some fatty goodness back.

I wanted to show a few of my favorite go-to foods and snacks that have kept me mildly on track as I figure out how to cook again!
___________________________________________________
I literally lived on this combination for the last few weeks: Ak Mak crackers, Oscar Meyer Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, and Wild Garden red pepper hummus. I usually try to add some carrots and grapes to round out the plate but damn, this combo is so good! Bonus that the crackers are healthy without any additives or weird ingredients, and I am definitely getting my protein and fiber boost.
__________________________________________________________
My favorite frittata that I keep forgetting to get a picture of:

Take two servings of frozen tater tots, defrost in microwave then smush (technical term) into the "crust" of a pie plate.

Take a big random combo of frozen veggies from the freezer and defrost. I usually include spinach, broccoli, pepper mix, onion/garlic/shallot mix, and whatever fresh veggies I have on hand. Layer that into the pie plate.

Next take four eggs and a couple of glugs of egg whites and whip them up nicely in a bowl. Add in seasonings (S&P, garlic powder, italian seasonings, etc.) and then add the secret ingredient: MUSTARD! Yep, just trust me.

Pour the egg mixture evenly into the pie plate. Add some feta cheese on top and mush into the rest so that it is covered my the egg mixture (shredded cheese is okay but forms a hard shell on top when baked).

Pop that all into a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes until the middle is set. I consider this four servings that are nutritionally balanced AND decent in the calories and fat department.
______________________________________________________________
A few other to-go snacks that are good when I am on a time crunch:
Nutri-Grain bars (always in strawberry)
Clif Kid Organic Zbars (always in iced oatmeal cookie)
Earthfare Organic Animal Crackers
Pretzel Crisps (every and all flavors welcome, usually dipped in hummus)

No comments:

Post a Comment