Sunday, April 28, 2013

Charleston: Part IV - The Citadel

I may have lied on that last post...THIS will truly be the last review post for Charleston. I almost forgot that I did a little "drive-thru" tour of The Citadel as I headed out of the city. It just seemed really cool so I decided to check it out.

From wiki:
     The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, commonly referred to simply as The Citadel, is a state-supported, comprehensive college located in Charleston, South Carolina, United States, founded in 1842. It is one of the six Senior Military Colleges in the United States. It has 16 academic departments divided into five schools offering 18 majors and 35 minors. 


The grounds are gorgeous and pristine. As you are driving through the city, you end up in a neighborhood area then all of a sudden, The Citadel is just there with its big, intimidating buildings and military cadets walking around. 





I did a very quick visit but they do have a museum and visitor's center on the campus that is open to the public. I was excited to see the big ring that everyone online had gotten pictures of:



This thing is HUGE! It was so well made and the display area was really something to take in. I walked along a large part of the fields that are located in the center of campus (behind in these pictures) and saw some of the military vehicles and aircraft as well.






It was such an honor to be able to see a place like this. I have only heard "The Citadel" in the news or through military friends but actually getting to see it up close felt like seeing this very special and privileged part of history.

Charleston Day Trip Recaps:
Part I
Part II
Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment