Thursday, September 2, 2010

Who knew? Popcorn.

I have been in my new apartment for nearly a month. I have also been sans microwave for that entire time. I am a girl of ease and I fully enjoy my microwave. I love an oven too but the microwave is the best for reheating and cooking quickly.

 I was in the grocery store one day and instinctively grabbed microwave popcorn and threw it in my basket. A minute later I turned around and was thought, "Oh....right." I returned to the popcorn area and looked at my options. There was the Jiffy Pop old school aluminum shake thing but it was $3 (!!) for one serving and full of oils and fats that I do not enjoy or need. I saw the kernels but have always had an irrational fear of actually making popcorn on the stove top. I dated someone who was a genius at this and to be honest, I was always scared there would be fire or smoke when even he made it.

I said to myself "What the hay, I want popcorn!" and grabbed a cheap bag of popcorn kernels. I already had veggie oil and spray butter at home so that night I decided to just go for it.

And...I had no idea how good it was! It had been so long since I made fresh popcorn and it is so much tastier than the bagged version. I was very nervous the first time making it but when that lid came off the pot and I saw lots of puffy white popcorn underneath, I was in heaven. Here is a reenactment of the love:

Nice pot. 
Pour oil into pan. Not too much!
Pour kernels in but not too much! 
1 layer on bottom of pan, oil evenly distributed
Turn on stove. Put on lid. If no steam holes, put lid slightly ajar.
Prep the butter and bowl for popcorn.
Delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment