Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 7: Your best friend, in great detail

When I think of best friends, I think of when you were little and you would have sleep overs and ride bikes together after school. THOSE were the fun days where things just were easy and uncomplicated. I don't consider myself to have had a real "best friend" like that for quite a while. 

The rundown is basically that my mom knows almost everything that is going on in my life but isn't necessarily the greatest at being excited or paying attention to any details or anything like that. I have a few people (2-3) that I tell more things to and let in. I known them for quite a number of years so there is a familiarity/comfort OR I feel like they just understand me and are supportive of what I am doing in my life. I don't tell anyone everything that is going on because I believe that either a) I am not worth the effort b) if I do tell them and they don't respond or show any sort of emotion, I will be disappointed. It is definitely heart breaking to open up to someone and have them not respond. Perhaps I am expecting too much out of people sometimes and I always look back at myself to make sure that I can be that "ideal" friend to whoever might need me. 

I will say that I got a taste of what a regular friendship is like through the people that I worked with. Over the course of six months (two months in one case) I met a group of ladies that were supportive, caring, and genuinely interested in what I had to say. Most of the time (like "a" above) I feel like I need to get right to the point so that I don't bore the other person to death while talking about my day or issues. I hit the few key points and then move on to something else. These ladies really made the effort to be there for me when I was going through some difficult situations these past few months. It was surprising and a bit humbling! And I appreciate it more than they will ever even know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment