Monday, March 19, 2012

Musing of a Grad Student

A collection of thoughts running through my already incredibly scattered and cluttered mind.

1. I think if you live in Michigan long enough, all the cars sound the same. Why? The horrible condition of the roads! I have all new sorts of springs, squeaks, and rumbles in my car that weren't there only a year ago.

2. Building a professional wardrobe is a little ridiculous. You have to buy a "suit" even though you don't plan on ever having a job that requires a suit. Yes, you dress for the job that you want not the job you have but I don't enjoy a suit jacket! And I hope to not work in an institution that requires a suit jacket in an advising office. That being said, I found some cute blazers today (full price, egads!) that will pair well with the thrifting findings from yesterday's adventure (post to come).

3. My sodium intake is a little ridiculous. There are more than 2,000 grams of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. That is close to the maximum that you should have per day.

4. I am craving exercise...like serious sweaty, hard core gym time. I also have this ridiculous need to procrastinate and my homework and exercise have taken the brunt of it. I figure that after Tuesday, the most ridiculous of days this semester, I will have time to breathe without feeling incredibly guilty.

5. I can't wait to get my body back into regular movement and get some of those muscles going again! Gah.

6. I thought I could go without a microwave for the remainder of my time here. I was wrong. I can't melt chocolate or butter any other way and miss a good TV dinner kind of meal. Thank you, Craigslist, for allowing me to buy a microwave within my puny budget.

7. I drove through Ann Arbor on Saturday right smack dab in the middle of St. Patrick's Day festivities. I heard the girls giggling wildly while boys made big shows and offered every available female yet another drink. While I totally remember being one of those girls, it all seemed so ridiculous and almost offensive as a female to hear them pretend to be stupid just for a guy's attention. We've all been there but man, it feels nice to be a grown-up sometimes.

8. That being said, I miss being a teenager sometimes. The time when things were oddly simple and we all took it for granted.

9. My favorite hair color changed all the names and numbers AND got rid of my color. I am normally "root beer float" and now I am somewhere between a "cinnamon stick" and a "cocoa bean." Can I tell you the ridiculousness of trying to sort through all these food names for a hair color? Well, I felt ridiculous at least.

10. Graduation is coming up. Dun dun dun!

No comments:

Post a Comment