Sunday, March 4, 2012

Portland, Oregon Visit

I finally made a trip back home to Portland! It had been almost two years since I went back and I think it was just what I needed. I had each day planned out so that I could try to see everyone that I truly missed and cared about. I spent about three days with my mom and then spent the majority of my trip catching up with friends, EATING, and taking naps. Apparently my rock star Portland lifestyle caught up with me since I have been sick all day! I blame the Pacific Time Zone to Eastern Time Zone and crazy diet the most.

Some highlights of the Portland experience:

Steel Bridge, my favorite.
Interstate Bridge from Portland to Vancouver

Portland, Oregon Sign
The city.
My mom finally got her ears pierced! She was super excited.
Voodoo Donuts...I swear it wasn't all for me!
The Rundown (Friday PM to Friday AM):
Humongous burgers and tasty fries with Cara after picking up the rental car (vroooooom)
Talked mom into getting Muchas Gracias for dinner, so good
Portland Women's Expo and lunch at Mother's Bistro
Girls' Night at Brittney's cute little house after happy hour at HopWorks
Breakfast with the family and a required Goodwill Outlet trip
Movie with the mom, "Joyful Noise"
Corvallis to see Oregon State University and grab yummy Indian food
Dinner with a former co-worker whose boyfriend made an amazing dinner and great conversation was had
Seattle bound! (Post coming) and some required Voodoo Donuts!
Scrabble and beers
Lunch with former co-workers to catch up on all the gossip
Final dinner with mom at Olive Garden (I needed some salad by this point)
Headed back home in a slightly turbulent and bouncy plane ride but arrived safely
_______________________________________________
It was such a quick trip and I was so happy to see all of those wonderful people! I have to admit though, by Thursday I was ready to leave. I think Portland is an absolutely beautiful place and I love being able to drive and drive for hours (I don't do that here--I would end up in Canada!) but I know I won't be coming back. I already knew that but after being there for only a week, as a wise friend said there is just too much history and there just isn't anything there for me anymore.

home/hōm/
Noun: The place where one lives permanently, esp. as a member of a family or household.
Adjective: Of or relating to the place where one lives: "your home address".
Adverb: To the place where one lives: "what time did he get home last night?".
Verb:(of an animal) Return by instinct to its territory after leaving it: "geese homing to their summer nesting grounds".


While Michigan isn't home, I suppose home is wherever I decide to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment