Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reverb: April-June

Reverbing, reverbing; reflecting all the way...(too corny?)

Here we go...

7. Best moment of April 
Clearly, my biggest achievement was reached; something I had been putting all my effort into for the past two years.



Graduation! I worked hard, learned that I have an undying love of procrastination, pushed myself to go outside of my comfort zone, and met some of the best people. The decision to go to grad school was made in a difficult time in my life and there hasn't been one second that I regretted the decision. I actually miss it quite a bit, except for that whole writing long papers thing.

Secondly, participated in the Big House, Big Heart race (5k for me, 10k for Em). I had a big goal of doing at least one 5k in Detroit and one in Ann Arbor so this race was perfect. It started outside of the University of Michigan stadium and ended on the field which meant we got to run through the tunnel. It was a lot of fun! The rain that morning made things, well, damp, but we stayed strong and got through it. I was super proud of my girl Em for completing her first 10k! After, we cleaned up to be mildly presentable then grabbed lunch before she had to head back to Pennsylvania. I hadn't seen the girl in 9 years and it was like nothing had ever changed. 


Still just as important...
  • Birthday. 31. I feel old and too young all at the same time. I discovered I loved summer shandy. I also had an very heartfelt conversation with a trusted friend that relieved a lot of emotional and mental confusion. So thankful I have people in my life that help me make sense of things!

8. One Word. Encapsulate the year 2012 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2013 for you?

Intuition. I need to trust in it and utilize it as a prime tool in creating the life I want.
2013? Peace. Hoping to find it.

9. Best moment of May 
 

 May was a hodgepodge of things:
-Did my first on-campus interview which meant I flew in small planes on a rainy, windy day.
-Went to Grease sing-a-long at the Redford Theater in Detroit. Love, loved it.
-My friend took me on a tour of Detroit! Low-key style with a ride on the people mover (went around twice!), the Heidelberg Project, and we happened to find the most amazing popcorn place. No, seriously, would pay to ship that stuff to my house, good. (Apparently I never posted about this. Shame, April!)
-I started reading a lot. Read the Hunger Games and Fifty Shades of Grey trilogies. Apparently, this combo of books is a common theme among friends. I suppose when you think about it, both of them inform some sort of torture and love? Intriguing.

10. 5 minutes. Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2012 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2012.

I would capture the first part of the year, hands down. January through June. Friends, dinners and happy hours, long conversations, feeling of knowledge and empowerment, celebrations.

I also would probably remember the short spurt of dating that I did here in Columbia. It wasn't much but it reminded me of some things that I forgot.

11. Best moment of June 
This was a month of transition and difficulties and apparently I wasn't super inspired to blog since there were only five posts.I remember going out with friends though! Having long talks with some of my mentors that made me feel like I was ready to move on and not nearly ready enough, all at the same time.

12. Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

I have a few very dear friends that have been so supportive and understanding of me this year despite the fact that they had serious things going on in their lives as well. These friends are considerate, empathetic, and selfless. They are the kind of friends that I hope I can be to them. It is nice knowing that I have the ability to be loved and considered in the way that they have shown me.

No comments:

Post a Comment