Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oh, Pumpkin Bread

In an effort to decrease my sugar intake, I haven't been buying any "sweets" like I did during the month of October. I never used to buy that stuff but turned to Peanut M&Ms and candy corn quite a bit last month. I am going back to my old ways where if I do want a treat I have to make it. 


So tonight I wanted something yummy and satisfying. I ate really well today (all 7 servings of fruits/vegs) and had some pumpkin puree left in the fridge. I totally knew I shouldn't have bought the big can of Libby's pumpkin puree (not pie filling, people!) because I can never use it all up fast enough no matter how much oatmeal and yogurt I throw it into. Enter in: pumpkin bread. (Dun, dun, dun!)


I found a great and easy recipe over on Two Peas and their Pod for Nutella Pumpkin Bread but I didn't want to have any chocolate in it so I went simple and accidentally vegan too!
____________________________________________________
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod
Pumpkin Nutella Bread
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I used 3/4 whole wheat pastry flour, 1 regular flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar (Went a little less on the sugar)
1/2 cup canola oil (substituted applesauce)
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs (used chia egg. For 1 egg combine 1 tbsp chia seeds, 3 tbsp water, let sit for at least 5 minutes til all goopy and jelly)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon hazelnut extract (omitted)
8 tablespoons Nutella (2 tablespoons per mini loaf) (didn't have but looks good!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 4 mini loaf pans with cooking spray. Set aside. (I used two regular sized loaf pans)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, eggs, and extracts. Whisk until smooth and combined.
4. Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are combined.
5. Pour the batter into the mini loaf pans, making sure batter is evenly divided. Drop 2 heaping tablespoons of Nutella onto each loaf pan. Swirl the Nutella into the pumpkin batter with a knife. Place the loaf pans onto a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Place the loaf pans on a wire rack. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan and then carefully remove the loaves. Cool completely before slicing.
*Note-You can make regular size loaves. This recipe should make 2 8×4 loaves. Adjust baking time to about 60 minutes.
___________________________________________________
The bread is still baking but I can tell you the batter is delicious! It was safe since I used the chia egg and I am excited to see how the bread turned out considering my substitutions. I plan on freezing one of the loaves so I don't feel pressured to eat it before it goes bad. Anyone else ever do that? Eat everything fast since it might go bad? 
This also doubles for my little thing to be thankful for: making fresh bread, getting my homework done, and soon to be enjoying bread while watching some internet "TV." Have an excellent night!

No comments:

Post a Comment