Sunday, November 7, 2010

Veg, veggies, vegetables....

I finally made it over to the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market yesterday and was excited by all the produce to be seen. It was a crazy cold day but I felt good wandering around and deciding which things to buy and what I could make with them. I have all these recipes in my head from things I have seen on other blogs but so hard to figure out what looks good and what I will actually make while staring at perfectly purple eggplants and a hearty bunch of beets.

In order for me to really remember what I have, I usually have my fruits and vegetables out on the table like


This is so that I encourage myself to use everything up before it goes bad. I see the bananas getting more and more ripe and know that I need to get on the ball there. I saw a bad Clementine tonight so took them all out and lined them up across the table. I had kiwis during a presentation last week and fell instantly in love. How did I not love them before now? Crazy, I know, but I had two this morning and they are amazing.

Same deal in the fridge about making everything easy to see


That lovely eggplant is chillin' (oh, bad pun, right?) near some zucchini, beets, romaine lettuce, carrots and a bag of huge purple grapes. All of this is just so pretty! I need to find interesting ways to use them all though. The beets are going to be roasted cause that is my favorite but also thinking of a layered veggie lasagna type of dish. There is tofu hiding in one of the bins so that will be incorporated.

One last shout-out for these HUMONGOUS honeycrisp apples from a local farm. This picture doesn't do it justice because the apple is roughly the side of a grapefruit!


Tonight for dinner, I roasted the delicata squash, baby carrots and red potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes. While those were cooking away, I threw in some turkey meatballs from Trader Joe's for the last 20 minutes. It was the perfect dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment